Sunday, January 27, 2008

Im off!!!

WOW! Today is now the 5th day of my voyage and it has been amazing so far! First of all I want to apologize for not being prompt in updating this and not adding pictures. I am currently at in internet cafe in San Juan, Puerto Rico and am not able to upload my personal pictures. But, never fear, I have taken around 200 so far so you will see them in due time.
Now, onto my voyage so far - We left Nassau, Bahamas on Wednesday around 5pm (actually its 1700 hours because we have to go by military time now... meh). Ship life is not too bad. My roommate is great and we get along very well. I felt sea sick the first night but ever since I have been fine... I have pretty much gotten used to the constant rocking and humming of the engine - I get rocked to sleep every night :) I had my first day of classes on Friday and we pulled into port (Puerto Rico) on Saturday morning. We got up early (6am) to see the sunrise and watch us pull into port - It was B-E-A-utiful! Yesterday a group of us walked around Old San Juan and toured the fort "El Moro" - it was amazing! Then me and another friend had a SAS trip to El Yunke rainforest for a hike there. We, as you may have guessed, walked through the rainforest and then went swimming by a huge waterfall.... AH, it was great! After we got back from that I had to quickly get ready for a welcome reception that a local university put on for us. It was a nice time to see and talk to local students. Today, we went around San Juan again and then laid at the beach for a while.
Overall, I have had an amazing time! I can't even begin to discribe this amazing journey. I am so glad that I can share this with you and I hope you enjoy it as well!
I will (hopefully) be uploading some pictures tomorrow but for now I will have to go. My time at the cafe is running down!
Brazil, here I come!!! :)

2 comments:

ottster said...

Ok first, no pics. Second, it is a voyage...I knew it! I thought this was a "education experience" and what we find out...after the Boat left was that it turned into a cruise. Nice!

Otter

htullmann said...

Cherie,

That sounds soooo great! I hope you enjoy it!
Hans