Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hong Kong

Hong Kong is probably one of the most incredible cities that I have ever been to. It is full of skyscrapers and lights that make the sky line one of the best! The weather for my stay in Hong Kong was not great but the sites and sounds of the city made all the clouds disappear for me. Our port location was prime with our disembarkation of the ship leading into a huge mall with many familiar stores. I had planned a ½ day trip with SAS for a city orientation. Our tour guide took us by all the major buildings and to one of the major sites in Hong Kong. He shared how much he has seen Hong Kong change and grow into the city it is today. We went up to the peak of Hong Kong where we should have seen a 360 view of the city but because of the fog were unable to do so. I, however, decided to have my picture taken and then have that picture be photo-shopped into the skyline – Lame I know, but hey, at least I’ll have a picture of the skyline. There was also a Starbucks at the top of the peak so, of course, I got my usual London Fog and I must say, Hong Kong makes it the best. After taking the tram down the mountain we headed toward the heart of the city to tour the business district. It was quite a site to see – I will post pictures (hopefully soon) but I really don’t think they do it justice. We also went to a temple that is constantly burning incense. Now, I’m not just talking about one stick, there were coils and coils that would burn (depending on the size) for a day, a week, or even a month. I pretty much had a massive head ache after our 5 minutes in there. After our city tour was over I headed back to the ship in order to meet some friends for dinner. We ended up finding a restaurant in the mall right across from the ship – It was called the Stonegrill. It is basically the opposite of Cold Stone. They bring out your order (beef, shrimp, or seafood) on a hot stone and you basically cook it yourself. I am not as talented as everyone else so the waiter had to help me along but I eventually got the hang of it. After dinner, the 6 of us just walked around the port and found some dessert. It was a great way to spend my one day in Hong Kong but I would like to go back sometime soon to see more of that wonderful city. I will be posting about my time in Beijing and Shanghai as soon as I can. We get to Japan tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to find an internet cafĂ© since the ships internet is not available in Japan. Miss you all! love love love Cherie

2 comments:

Oliver France said...

Cherie! Great Blog you got going here. :-) Wow, these are some awesome experiences. You will never forget them, and I am glad that you are getting this opportunity to experience life to the fullest. I do Miss ya though. ;-) Have a great one!

Ethan said...

I've been to many exotic places recently in my travels, namely the lands of "Omaha" and "Wenatchee." However, I desire to visit this curious place called "Hong Kong" and indulge in all these cultural gems you describe, such as "malls," "Starbucks," and restaurants that significantly increase their own profit margins by making you "cook your own food." The imperialist white machine which my taxes drive could learn much from such a land. And they say manifest destiny is dead. Tut! Tut!