Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jumping out of a plane can be fun. . . . . . .

My ONE day in Hawaii began at 0600 with getting my phone to actually have service again, calling the (pa)rentals, and finally going through customs and immigration in the good ‘ol USA – God bless America. It only took about an hour for the ship to be cleared and then we were off to the North Shore to do some skydiving, much to my mother’s dismay. We were one of the first Semester at Sea groups to get out to the drop zone and before we knew it, we had signed our life away and were waiting to get suited up for the jump. At about 11am we were called up to meet our instructor and were up in the plane a few minutes later. It took about 5-10 minutes to climb to 14,000 feet. My instructor, Ed, was super cool and explained the whole process to me. Once we reached the proper altitude everyone did final checks and made sure we were all actually strapped in and you know what happens next. Ed and I were supposed to jump second but the camera guy that was jumping with us “needed a moment…” whatever that means! Let me tell you, I was not the happiest camper in the world when a guy, who has done this THOUSANDS of times I might add, is freaking out about jumping. We ended up jumping last and let me tell you, that is the biggest adrenalin rush ever! It is only for the first split second where your stomach actually drops – other than that it just feels like your floating! We were free falling for about 30 seconds – we even fell through a cloud… I have always wanted to touch a cloud! After those 30 seconds he pulled the cord and out came the parachute (what a relief, hey?). After I actually stopped going crazy with excitement, he even let me steer us (is that even what you call it?). It was so awesome! Our landing was smooth and I was again freaking out that I had just jumped out of a plane. My friends were on the ground waiting for me and greeted me with hugs and laughter as we talked about our totally awesome experiences of falling from 14,000 feet. I would recommend skydiving to anyone seeking a totally amazing adventure! I would totally go again in a second – hint hint, CHRISTMAS!! Just kidding… but really it was a great time with friends and something I will definitely never forget! After skydiving we headed back to Honolulu to see Pearl Harbour. I was really bummed because they were sold out of tours for the rest of the day so we would not be able to see the actual USS Arizona memorial. We were just going to settle for the museum and distant pictures of the memorial when a guide offered my friend two tickets – only problem was that there were six of us. When we told him, he said that wasn’t a problem and told us to just stay together and he would let us all in. How great is that! Not only do we get in with two tickets legally, but they were free! Score! We went out to the memorial and I was very surprised at my reaction. To be honest, I saw Pearl Harbour as just another memorial where a lot more people died. I pretty much expected it to be like what I saw in every other country – but when we actually got out there, a certain emotion flooded into me. I was moved – and probably more than any other time this whole semester. I guess, for once this was real to me… for once, I had reason to be prideful and for once, I was able to experience what being an American is all about. As cheesy as it sounds this trip has really made me appreciate what we have as Americans and the pride we should all take in our country. Having this new found world perspective has changed the way I think of, obviously, the world, and also the US. I wish I could explain it better, but I am at a loss for words at the moment. After we came back from the memorial my friend pointed out a gentleman, maybe in his late 20s early 30s, in a wheelchair. He looked like a marine who had been wounded in the war. I could not help but watch him and wonder what he was thinking at that very moment. What was going though his head – was it hatred? Was it pride? Was it anger? I really wanted to go and talk to him for a while but I didn’t – I just stared at him, trying to understand what he must be feeling. I have a cousin who is actually over in Iraq right now and looking back in retrospect that did not mean anything to me until my experiences at Pearl Harbour taught me something. I have a new found pride. A pride in that marine who stares into the sun as it sets over Pearl Harbour; a pride in my cousin who fights for our freedoms this very moment; A pride in what it means to be an American. As most of you probably know, I have been about 6 days since Hawaii so I thought I would catch you up on the happenings here. Classes are finally over and exams have begun as our voyage draws to an end. We will be in Miami in less than 11 days now and I can’t believe it. As I have said numerous times this voyage has been amazing and I have learned so much. I hope this update finds you all well! Miss you all… see you soon! love love love Cherie

No comments: