Sunday, March 9, 2008

On to India......

Hello once again from the Northern Hemisphere. We said our last goodbyes to the Southern Hemisphere around 2100 hours last night and as I write we are just to the south east of Sri Lanka – Wow, I never would have imagined myself saying that before this voyage. It is sad for me to think that our trip is already almost half way over and sooner than I know it I will have to say goodbye to all these amazing friends I have met from around the world!
On a much brighter note we are almost to India! Tuesday morning (Monday evening for those of you in California) we will arrive in Chennai and that afternoon I fly to Delhi to begin our tour of the Taj Mahal, Agra, and Varinasi. Even thought I am a bit hesitant to experience a definite culture shock I am looking forward to learning more about their culture as a whole. We had a great introduction to what India is like is Mauritius, however on a much smaller scale. Although Mauritius is a French settlement the majority of the population is Indo-Mauritian, meaning people from Indian decent. While we were in Mauritius there was a big festival going on. Once a year Hindus from around the island make their way, on foot, to a river/lake (they believe it flows from the Ganges) just outside of Port Louis. As a result there are hundreds of groups of people that walk together carrying shrines of their god Shiva. I am not certain of every detail of the pilgrimage but it was an amazing experience to see all these people so dedicated to their faith and belief – something that is rarely seen in the states today.
On another topic, we did not have classes yesterday because of our sea Olympics on the ship. Each floor is divided into seas from around the globe and they all compete in many events with the prize of getting off the ship first in Miami – and of course my sea came in dead last! Good thing the rest of the standings do not count for order of disembarkation.
The other night we had a community college lecture on saris – how to tie them, where to buy them, and all that jazz. It was really interesting to see the different styles and it got me really excited to buy one! How cool would it be to be wearing an Indian sari in front of the Taj Mahal – so cool!!
Anyhoo, I should get back to my studies… I hope all is well at home! I miss you all!
love love love Cherie
PS. We move ahead 30 minutes tonight… weird, hey??

2 comments:

Ethan said...

Mauritians are pretty cool. My favorite is when they had that one on Looney Toons with the funny little Romanesque helmet on and he was in that feud with Bugs Bunny and he tried to blow up Earth by sticking the dynamite through his telescope, and it explodes in his face, and he says in his thick accent, "Well...back to the drawing board!" ha ha ha! Those Mauritians can be so funny.

Anonymous said...

Cherie! I'm so mad I missed your call!!!! I was so excited when I got it! It's so good to know you are having fun. I still CANNOT believe you are getting to do and see all that you are! I'm proud of you! I love you and miss you!
sisterfriendneighbordate