Sunday, February 17, 2008

23 hour days?

First of all let me just say… 23 hour days suck! On this portion of our journey we have lost a total of 5 hours since Salvador and I have lost 10 hours since leaving California. See, you’d think that we would be happy because this way we get a whole day back before we get to Hawaii… BUT not only do we have to go to class on both days but its April 15th – tax day – kind of funny, hey? Anyways, enough of my complaints… As you may have guessed, we are still in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It is our 8th consecutive day at sea and everyone is very ancy to get off the ship and onto land in South Africa. The past few days have been fairly uneventful – went to class, took some naps (ah! I love nap time), met new people, did some reading, and hung out with friends. I also had a birthday dinner with my “family” on the ship. Too bad the birthday boy slept through pretty much all of it – more cake for us! Last night we had the first of many “sea competitions” with the sea Olympics being the granddaddy of them all!  Everyone on the ship is separated into different sections (similar to halls on a regular university campus) and each of these sections is named after a sea (i.e. Mediterranean, Red, and Caribbean). I happen to be a member of the Mediterranean Sea!! Woot Woot! Last night it was all about the cheers. Each team had a certain amount of time to impress the judges with there cheers/songs about their sea. As you can imagine, it was a night full of laughter for everyone. Today I had my first finance exam so I pretty much took the rest of the day off after that – what can I say, the 4th deck was calling my name. Only one more day of classes before we hit Cape Town! I am so excited! The first day I plan on going to Robben Island for most of the day and then just wander around Cape Town – I have heard the shopping is amazing  The next few days after that I will be going to Cape Point, through the wine lands, and various other “touristy” things that will more than likely be planned spur of the moment. Well, dinner is calling my name! Have a great day! love love love Cherie PS. Thanks to my mama who has been posting these for me so I don’t have to waste my internet minutes!!

No comments: