Friday, February 22, 2008

Cape Town #2






We went to the Cape Winelands today! It was absolutely beautiful there. Our first stop was just outside Stellenbosch at JC Le Roux Winery. To be honest I was a bit worried because I am not a huge fan of wine… but these wines weren’t too bad. There specialty is sparkling wine, also known as Champagne. We tasted four of there specialty wines, were shown the bottling line of their winery and then took off for our next stop. Our next stop specialized in brandy, so that’s what we tasted… it was pretty much the most disgusting thing I have ever had. They also gave us some chocolates that supposedly “complimented” each of the 4 brandies – I wouldn’t know, after that first taste I was done – the chocolates were great though! I was really surprised at the prices of the wine around here. The most I saw for a reserve wine was around 80 Rand which is just over $11 – I would have bought some to bring home but we aren’t allowed to bring alcohol on the ship – sorry dad! We went to lunch at another winery but ran out of time to do a tasting there as well. Overall, I had a great time! I am still in love with this city and I am not looking forward to leaving at all. I have had the best time and I can’t wait to come back!
Miss you all!
love love love
Cherie

2 comments:

Ethan said...

It's a shame you couldn't bring me wine back home, I understand though. Just make sure to bring lots and lots of those yummy chocolates, ya know? (wink wink, nudge nudge) Many, many bottles--er, uh I mean, "boxes" of chocolates.

Peter said...

A dry boat? Man, that changes everything. A brief consultation with pirate/sailor songs suggest that booze is the thing that makes shiplife worth living.
Please note: No one ever said, 'Yo ho ho and a bottle of fruit juice!'


Two other pieces of advice: Nothing satisfies thirst like fresh ocean water, and albatross meat is yummy.

Your brother.