Sunday, February 10, 2008

Out to Sea!

Hello again! Its almost time for us to pull out of Salvador and start our 9 day journey to Cape Town. Salvador has been amazing! Being in the city for the first two days was plenty for me. On Wednesday I went up to the city with some girls from my class and walked around for a while. One of my favourite souvenirs that I picked up was a hand painted tile – he painted it before my own eyes and its beautiful! After watching him work for about 2 hours we continued around the city and talked to some locals, got info on skydiving (no I didn’t go yet, my friends did though, they said its amazing!) and just wandered to wherever we felt lead! Oh fun! After coming back to the ship Libby called me and wanted to go to dinner and then head back to the city and wander around some more. It was good times starting and ending with a crazy cab ride through some sketchy streets… but oh so memorable.
On Thursday I left for my first SAS overnight field program to Cachoeira. There was so much that took place that I can’t explain it all on this blog but I will try to highlight my favourite things. The first day we went to a coca farm where this woman took us all around her farm and explained how she made chocolate from scratch – I tried it and its amazing ( I am hoping to save some until I get home but as of right now its not looking to last that long). We also toured a cigar factory. It was really cool to see the process of how they make cigars… and buy some too J Since we have been in Brazil I haven’t had a bad meal and Im sure most of you know how amazing Brazilian food is so I don’t think I need to explain it.
The next day we went to a village that makes pottery. We all had the opportunity to make something on the (non-electric) wheel. Lets just say some of us made a fool of ourselves.
Today I was able to take a little break from the business of life and chill at the beach – while getting the crap burned out of me by the sun. We went to an island right off Salvador called Itapirica. It was a nice time to relax and get to know people.
Through these trips I learned a lot and my eyes were opened up to the “real Brazil.” These people live with so little and yet they are so happy and willing to give the little they have. It was amazing – I know I have said that like 50 times but I don’t have another word to explain my adventures.
Well, that’s all for now. We are a few minutes away from our departure and I should get back out on deck.
love love love
Cherie

No comments: