Tuesday, February 12, 2008

From somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!

Hello again from somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! I can’t believe that in exactly a week we will be in South Africa. Of all the destinations on this voyage, I am most excited about Cape Town. To be honest I don’t know exactly why but I know I am really eager to learn more about the apartheid movement and all it entails. Also, it has been really cool to be reading and learning about the slave trade between Brazil and South Africa and also be able to see (not just in textbook pictures) how it all went down. And to be able to sail in the same waters that millions of slaves sailed in is not something you get to do everyday – it brings the learning experience full circle for me. Another interesting opportunity that I have had these past few weeks is to read a great book about Theodore Roosevelt’s journey down the Amazon. Again, to be able to travel to these same places that I am reading about is just so cool for me – and if you know me at all… for me to mention a book is BIG! The book is called “The River of Doubt.” For any history buffs out there (Dad) I think you would enjoy it… I mean I did so that has to be some sort of sign.  Overall everything is still going well for me. Classes are still a pain but are beginning to be bearable. We have our first global studies exam tomorrow (Tuesday) so that should be a hoot. Other than that life/class is just peachy. Since leaving Salvador the seas have been quite rocky which makes it hard to walk in the halls and consequently I have been running into walls on a regular basis… BUT the seas also rock me to sleep every night so I suppose it’s an even trade off. I had dinner with my extended family again tonight. It was fun to just chat and catch up on everyone’s happenings in Brazil. My “mom” and “dad” also know a few people from Porterville – small world, eh? They also travel up to northern BC every year so they said they would stop by Trinity to see me the next time they come up which is really exciting! Yesterday and today I have not been feeling too well so I think I might have picked something up from the food in Brazil. I am feeling a bit better as I write this (Monday night) so hopefully I’m almost over it. Well, I better get back to studying. I hope all is well back home in the states! Miss you all! love love love Cherie

3 comments:

Ethan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ethan said...

Don't forget, without Theodore Roosevelt, we also wouldn't have the coolest palindrome ever, which succinctly states his contribution to history, malaria, and Central-American slave labor: a Man, a Plan, a Canal: PANAMA. Second only to that were the most famous words Napoleon never spoke: Able was I ere I saw Elba.
Speaking of treading the unfortunate waters of the erstwhile slave trade, whenever I go back to Minnesota, I sneak onto the lawn where we used to live, lie naked under the stars, and with bitter tears reminisce about my own childhood spent in indentured servanthood, mowing the lawn, painting the house, and clearing leaves from the gutters. Then the hounds chase me off.

Marine Wife said...

Cherie,

Thanks for your great blog entries. Since you mentioned wondering how things are at home, I thought I'd post a comment.

Joshua and I were hoping to go to P'ville this weekend (he has Friday and Monday off to celebrate the birthdays of two other esteemed US presidents) but Joshua has gotten a bad cold. I don't want to generously share his germs with your folks, so I guess we'll stay home.

We had a week or two of nearly summer weather here in So. Cal. but this week it all changed and woke up to rain. I love it, but I know others are ready for winter to be over.

Jon is doing well -- settling in to his routine in that country I don't think you'll be visiting. :)

Take care.

Your cous, Sheryl